Saturday, March 1, 2008

Those unsolvable mysteries of life

Seth Green.

Seth Green, Seth Green - there are so many things that baffle me about Seth Green. Like, why is Seth Green not in more stuff when he clearly should be? And like, why is it possible for Seth Green to completely pull off wearing John Lennon sunglasses even though he is not like John Lennon at all and those sunglasses should just make him look like a poser? And like, why was there was a movie of Trumpet of the Swan? Haven't we learned by now that it's not a good idea to film EB White's books?

But mainly, why is Seth Green so lovable?

I'm seriously asking this question, and if anyone has any answers, I'd be enchanted to hear them. I don't understand what is so lovable about Seth Green. He's, you know, this little tiny pasty ginger guy that's not in a ton of stuff, and like – I don't understand! Why is he so lovable? What quality does he possess that makes everyone like him so much?

I've seen him in three things now (not counting, obviously, his Chris voice in Family Guy, though kudos for that, guy). He was the sleazy brother person in Rat Race (the movie that I know I shouldn't like because it's ridiculous but it always makes me laugh until I cry), and he was the ghetto poser bathroom sex guy in Can't Hardly Wait, and he was Oz in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

And, you know what, when he first showed up in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which I totally didn't know he was in), he wasn't even doing anything, and still my head exploded with glee and I was all SETH GREEN! IT'S YOU! OH HOORAY! and I immediately demanded of my sister, who knows these things, how long I could expect to have him around (several seasons, hurrah!). And I can't account for it! Yes, he uttered one of my favorite movie lines ever, and yes, he and whatsherface completely stole the show from whatshisface and Jennifer Love Hewitt (hi, I'm Jennifer Love Hewitt! I don't deserve this name, because I am so, so bland) in Can't Hardly Wait, but that's no excuse for my reaction. Because if Johnny Depp, whose acting I really admire, and who delivers a line better than most ("The years no doubt have changed me", anyone?), had suddenly strolled into Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I wouldn't have shrieked with glee and hoped he would stick around, not one bit, nope. I would have been surprised, and pleased that he had had such a gig, and but the joyous shrieking, and the dismay at the notion of him ever leaving again, and the anxiety over his fate when Willow discovers she is a lesbian? Nope.

AND. I looked him (Seth Green, not Johnny Depp) up on Wikipedia, and apparently he was meant to be the pity death guy when Angel turned evil, but everyone liked him too much so the writers changed their minds and killed (thank God because I hated her, that unpleasant wench messing with Giles's head and getting him all stabbed and, oh yeah, WHERE DOES SHE GET OFF HAVING MY SAME NAME?) Jenny Carpenter instead. Which means that this isn't just me, it's everybody. Why, everybody? What does Seth Green have that makes him so lovable? WHAT IS IT?

Whatever. It's beyond me.

Incidentally, I was watching Angel (and I swear that after this I'm never mentioning Buffy the Vampire Slayer again – it's amazing how these TV obsessions take hold of me and rule my being, though in my defense I am working virtually the entire time I am watching them, either learning French usefully or revising my story), and Oz showed up unexpectedly, and I had the exact same reaction that Cordelia had about five minutes later, which was: "Oz! Oh, it's Oz! Oz, Oz, Oz, Oz! Hooray, Oz!"

Which, um, means I'm apparently the same person as Cordelia.

Pooh.

No comments: