Friday, March 21, 2008

Sometimes very pretty people make me feel bad about myself

When that happens, I tend to focus obsessively on weird details that make me less (or more – a lot depends on the kind of day I'm having) pretty than the very pretty people I am contemplating.

In the case of Keira Knightley, who is very pretty, I feel most intensely insecure about my knees. I never like my knees, but Keira Knightley makes me feel really bad about them, because hers are so normal looking. They're so normal-looking that she has now permitted two different people to caress them while the camera does a close-up on them (her knees, that is). And I really can't emphasize enough that one of those people is James McAvoy. James McAvoy. So she must feel really, really good about her knees, and no wonder when they are so incredibly normal looking.

In order to combat this, I allow myself to feel extremely smug about my clavicle. (Making fun of her for being flat-chested is both too obvious and too mean.) My clavicle is one of my most favorite things about myself. I have a nice clavicle. It's well-defined. Whenever I wear clothes that display my clavicle, people tell me I look pretty. Coincidence? I THINK NOT. So when I am feeling really bad about how pretty Keira Knightley is compared to me, I always think: Well, but her clavicle is subpar. And look how pretty mine is.

And today? I have proof that I am TOTALLY CORRECT.

You have to scroll down a bit to get to the relevant portion, but I will just tell you that they say she has a bony clavicle and should stop wearing dresses that show off her bony clavicle. Thank you, Fug Girls, for justification.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

jenny... she needs to eat. she may have pretty knees, but she'd look even prettier if she had a turkey and butter sandwich like your mom used to make us :)