Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Year; or, I don't understand you people

Well, today is Leap Year...um...Day. February 29th. And every time Leap Year happens, I feel a little sad because everyone is so blase about it. Like, today's Leap Year, but I came to work like I do on Fridays, and everything was pretty much business as usual, everyone wanted coffee, compiling of databases, urgent tasks to be taken care of – and, you know, like that. Work. Like any Friday.

But! What everyone seemed to have forgotten! Is that it is LEAP YEAR DAY.

Seriously, this is a whole extra day. A whole extra free bonus day that we just get every four years, like a big cool tetrannual present from the god of time. How cool is that? It's a bonus day! It's miraculous! Every year there are 365 days, but this year, this year there are 366. So I don't understand how it can even be possible that anyone can just hang out and not notice the fact that this day, this day that we are having right now, IT IS A SURPLUS DAY. I don't understand how I'm on the perpetual verge of spontaneous internal combustion with glee while everyone else is just going about their business like nothing special is happening.

I've always felt that Leap Year Day should be a holiday. It's a complete miracle of a day, and it only comes around every four years, so we should totally have it off. That would be very cool. And it could be, like, the hanging out day. On this day everyone would just hang out and do fun stuff. You could dance in the streets and go have picnics (in Louisiana we could anyway – for once I'm bragging about our weather, which is cool and was sunny yesterday and will be sunny again on Tuesday), or if it was rainy/snowy, you could stay inside with blankets and popcorn and sour Gummi-Worms and have a Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon.

Or, um, whatever. Doesn't have to be that. People like different things and all.

(Mm, sour Gummi-Worms.)

(Sidebar: I called my friend Diwen and told her about Buffy the Vampire Slayer and how I have a very big crush on Angel, and she (ever-critical even though she had just finished telling me a story in which she met Sean Astin and completely failed to be cool by asking him many probing questions about working with Orlando Bloom (Diwen's big crush, neither as badass nor as broody as Angel, nor possessed of as good a coat), and then inquiring about his (Sean Astin's) daughters like she was their old baby-sitter instead of a total random-ass stranger) said "Are you serious? You're too late. You're like ten years too late. Everyone had a crush on Angel in seventh grade. Loser." But I asked my other friend Megan, with whom I also went to middle school, and Megan affirmed what I remembered, that in seventh grade the girls had crushes on girly boys like Jonathan Taylor Thomas and the Hansen guys, not on Angel the Nice-Jacket-But-Not-As-Nice-As-Mine Vampire. Except me and my sister. We had a crush on Judas Iscariot. We vowed we would never give ourselves to any other. Mm, he was so yummily angsty.)

Point is, this Leap Year apathy, it has to stop. Everyone just has to snap out of it. This is an EXTRA BONUS SPECIAL PRESENT DAY.

WOW.

Er, that said, I'm working all day today and then studying for my English midterm. Not celebrating. But if I'm very virtuous and get enough stuff done, then I can watch some episodes of Angel (I got it from the library to make it possible for me not to watch Buffy until I could watch it with my dear sisters) while writing my story. Yay. And then tomorrow if Anna is agreeable we are going to have a HUMONGOUS BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER MARATHON WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

No comments: