Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sundries

1. I just watched the very last episode of Sex and the City. I have now seen every episode of Sex and the City. All four women very satisfactorily settled except for Carrie, of whose relationship with that big pooface I shall never approve (and I didn’t like the Russian either; in fact the only guy I liked that she dated was Aidan, and he wasn’t even that great because he talked all the time).

2. I went to Tesco’s today and used my recyclable bags, and when the check-out guy asked for my Club Card and I said I hadn’t got one, he said, So you’re just an environmental warrior? No, I am not. I just like sturdy bags with thick handles for carrying heavy groceries.

3. My flatmate Sarah and I went to London, and the Theatre Museum, which we really wanted to see, was closed. We dragged ourselves all the way to Covent Garden — which, please appreciate, was a long way away on the Tube and it is Fashion Week in London so the Tube was very very crowded, and additionally it took us nearly three hours to get to London, one of which was spent on the most rattly bus ever (so rattly it made me carsick, and I am never carsick) — and searched it out by following the signs, and it was closed for renovation or some crap like that. POOH.

4. There were also these two guys on the Tube, one of whom was a youngish guy with dreadlocks, and the other a middle-aged guy with white hair, who started singing “If You’re Happy and You Know It” on the Tube ride. They chose to do the clapping verse, which I think was a mistake on a train where you will fall over and squash a child if you’re not using one of your hands to hold on.

5. I realized the other day that I have to write 18,000 more words before I can return to my university in America, land of one essay per class and lots of grades to save you from failing. 18,000. I have six 3000-word essays to write, two by March and four by April. That’s not even counting the amount of words I shall have to write on my essay exams for all of my classes. The English education system does not love to save the rainforests.

6. The Oscars are on tonight and I’m missing them. Plus I’ve been so busy writing my essays that I haven’t had time to review any Oscar-nominated flims. (If anyone’s holding their breath for The Last King of Scotland, you can just stop it. I’m not watching that. Forest Whitaker frightened me in the previews.)

7. I just looked up Forest Whitaker on Wikipedia to see whether he spelled his name with one R or two (I had it right), and I found out the following information. He has four children whose names are (I’m so not kidding) Sonnet, True, Ocean, and Autumn. Ten points for anybody who can guess which of those are boys and which are girls without looking it up. He has a black belt in karate and is a vegetarian and supports PETA.

8. I cannot stand PETA. They are obnoxious extremists.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let’s see: How about “Sonnet” and “Autumn” for the girls, and “Ocean” and “True” for the boys?

I think naming a child “True” is a good way to breed a big lying liar. And being named “Ocean” is…well. A lot to live up to, certainly.

Anonymous said...

do we get a hint? how many of each?

Anonymous said...

No hints. My lips are sealed. You must just be wise and guess.