Thursday, February 1, 2007

Running the gamut of emotions

So I was just checking out what was going on in the world of letters, and the first thing I espied was that the seventh Harry Potter book (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, please don’t kill Lupin, Ms. Rowling) has been given an official release date of 21 July 2007. Which means I’ll be home to get it! It was way less cool getting the sixth book in England, although that may have been because I was in Croyden at the time, and Croyden is rubbish, than it was getting the fifth one in America. I am totally going to hit up one of those all-night bookstore Harry Potter extravaganzas. God wants me to.

(When the fifth book came out, I kept running into people I knew at Bongs & Noodles, and they were all trying to play it off like they didn’t care about the Harry Potter book and were just killing time until their movie started playing at the cinema next door. Whatever. Embrace it, guys.)

Well, so I got super excited and made a joyous squeak of elation and bounced up and down in my chair for a while, and I was all set for today to be an Official Good Day, and then there was this other thing in the news, which is that Molly Ivins, brilliant liberal Texan columnist, died yesterday.

Molly Ivins was my most favorite columnist ever, and I was sort of hoping she’d live forever (or at least long enough to see a damn Democrat elected back to the Presidency). She was 62, which was way too young. Cancer sucks. I’m even in a Facebook group that says so; and my mother has a pin that says so. Our rubbish newspaper at home is just going to be that much less good now, having been deprived of both Ms. Ivins’s column and the stroppy letters to the editor from angry conservatives. She was a very cool lady.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i’m so depressed. i just found out. :(
let’s dress up like wizards, okay?

Anonymous said...

“Politics is not a picture on the wall or a television sitcom that you can decide you don’t much care for.” - Molly Ivins

Molly Ivins was called unpatriotic by absolutely every ranting conservative who ever wrote a letter to the paper. (I notice they never disputed her facts). But she was my idea of the quintessential patriot - someone who loved her country so much that she was willing to face the hatred of many to defend the principles of liberty and civil rights.

And I bet she was welcomed into heaven by Dorothy Day and Martin Luther King!