Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Not sure what the deal is

Is it possible to pass out from taking too long a hot shower? Because I was taking a shower of unusual longness (though not unusual heat), and after a while I was like, Whoa, when did this shower start to suck? and my eyes were like, Hey, look at the black sparklies dude! and I was like, Huh. Nifty. I’m turning off this water now, and my eyes were like, Looooook at the black sparklies, and I was like, Hey, no! No, no, what’s going on? OMG, the black sparklies, they are taking over my whole vision! BACK YOU DEVILS! and then I sat down and put my head between my legs only I couldn’t keep doing that because my hair would get on the floor of the bathroom (ew), and then I thought that everything would be way much better if I ate up some cornflakes and water, but I discovered that I was incapable of putting back on my pajamas, so I wrapped myself all up in my towel and went into the kitchen on a Cornflake Mission, but my eyes were still alllllll about the black sparklies, and then I realized that actually I didn’t need cornflakes, just to lie down, so I abandoned my Cornflake Mission and went staggering down the hall on a Lying Down Mission.

The thing is, my brain got a tiny bit confused about which thing was my bed and which thing was the floor in the hall. Very easy mistake. One I’ve often made. So I lay on the floor in the hall for a while and thought grateful thoughts about it being earlyish in the morning and none of my flatmates being up because I was only wearing a towel and the towel had not remained perfectly wrapped around me when I lay down suddenly (though really it was less of a catastrophic towel event than you might think). After a while I decided that it wouldn’t be early forever, so I got up and, after some initial confusion in my brain over how the lock on my door worked (insert key; turn), fell over onto my bed.

And now I’m eating cornflakes. And then I will drink a whole lot of water. And then I will go back to my shower and put conditioner in my hair so it will smell nice and be untangly. And then I will eat cheese on crackers and maybe a turkey sandwich with cheese.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scary re: you passing out on the floor.
I’ve made friends with the black sparkles. We are well acquainted.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like low blood sugar to me. The black (and oddly, bright yellow) sparklies were my frequent shower companions when I was in college. Had you eaten the night before? Like, something protein-based? Another possible precipitator of blacksparklies is too many diggy biscuits (or, in my case, brownies). They do not make an adequate or healthy evening meal, espcially when coupled with alcohol in any quantity.

Anonymous said...

That happened to me once, minus the cornflakes. It wasn’t a particularly long shower (for me) (I take long showers), so I’m inclined to blame the heat, but who knows.

Anonymous said...

NOT low blood sugar! Because I had a nice large meal with protein (chicken), vegetables (asparagus), and carbohydrates (rice) for dinner last night, and furthermore, I did not eat very many digestive biscuits yesterday. And also the vodka lemonade from Friday (or Saturday?) night may still have been hanging around in my system, but I bet not.

My Official Diagnosis is heat exhaustion. I googled my symptoms and they matched beautifully: nausea, dehydration, passing out.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but the black-sparkly thing happened to me all the time when I was in college. And heat exhaustion comes from prolonged exposure to HEAT. Like, hours in the midday sun in Egypt in the summer. I’ve had both, and I’m still going with my diagnosis, with a yet-to-be-determined nutritional cause.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah? Well, I posted about it on Hatrack and a WHOLE LOT of people said that when they were feeling tired, long hot showers made them get dizzy and nauseated TOO.

Anonymous said...

Oh, la-la-la.

Anonymous said...

Black sparklies happen to me all the time after hot showers and albuterol. I’m inclined to think it’s the heat just because it happens to me at night after I’ve already eaten something. Don’t pass out anymore though Jenny, it concerns me.