Saturday, October 28, 2006

Don’t even try to tell me I can’t get in touch with Merlin Holland if I feel like it

Because I CAN. I have his fax number. That’s RIGHT. I have Merlin Holland’s fax number. Don’t mess with me because I can just fax Merlin Holland whenever I want to.

Although I acquired it on a public website, I feel empowered now that I’ve got it, like now that I have this public-access fax number I totally have an in with Merlin Holland and I can just fax him whenever and be all, Hey, dude, what’s going on? Not much here, just doing some research on your grandfather’s reputation and whatnot. Hope the book’s going well!

But seriously. Don’t let me near a fax machine. I am not confident in my ability to refrain from faxing Merlin Holland like a big Oscar Wilde groupie and telling him I wanna be friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oscar Wilde had children? As you’re one of my best friends, why didn’t I know that? *is baffled*

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness, yes. He had two: Cyril and Vyvyan. Cyril tried to protect Vyvyan from hearing about the trials, and he wanted to be a manly manly man and he died in World War I. Vyvyan had a strange and difficult life, and he wrote about it in a book, and he saved clippings about people persecuting the gays. And Merlin Holland is his son.

Oscar Wilde’s brother, in case you’re wondering, had one child, a girl called Dolly (short for Dorothy), and she was a big lesbian heroine addict and died of breast cancer at 45. So Merlin Holland is the last of the Wilde line.

Anonymous said...

I WAS wondering about that very thing. “Did Oscar Wilde have a niece who was a lesbian heroin addict?” I used to ask myself whenever I had a moment to spare from the quotidian tasks that fill my life. But now - thanks to this blog, which must be sent from Heaven - I am satisfied, and can die in peace.

Anonymous said...

You _should_ fax him! That is, if he isn’t all ‘Oscar Wilde was TOTALLY STRAIGHT! He admired Lily Langtry, you know!’ like whoever it was (Vyvyan?) who wrote that little square book with all the photographs in it that we were admiring a couple of years back.