Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Breaking news

This just in: England DOES have thunderstorms, repeat, England does have thunderstorms. By thunderstorms I mean there was one flash of lightning and some rumbly thunder, not humongous thunderstorms like in Baton Rouge (at least not so far), but behold! There is thunder and rain outside my window right now!

This is actually not that handy because I have to go buy a book at the campus bookshop which means I have to go through the rain and wind with my poor little purple umbrella that is not used to this kind of abuse, and if it’s raining that also means I have to put my hair up so it won’t pester me by blowing about wetly. But you know what the Monty Python boys say.

Irrelevant: The people in my flat do not know how to shuffle cards. I am one of two who can shuffle doing a bridge, and I am by far more proficient than they are, and when I screw it up and my bridge doesn’t work, there are no hoots of derision like at Baton Rouge High, and furthermore, when I do shuffle, everyone says I’m showing off. (But I’m not. Just shuffling.) Now, either this is just my flatmates or this is one of those differences between America and England that no one ever feels it is necessary to mention. So if you come to England, and you can shuffle doing a bridge, you might be very impressive indeed.

Bad news: In the time it has taken me to type this, the thunder has gone off. Oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It’s a British vs. American thing. My flatmates couldn’t shuffle, either, and they absolutely loved watching me do it. They thought I was so clever. :D

Anonymous said...

Shuffling a bridge: the easy way to look cool. Don’t say I never taught you anyting useful.