Sunday, September 2, 2007

If I had to choose one place to see before I die

It would be the Taj Mahal. I have seen pictures of the Taj Mahal, and it looks stunningly impressive. It looks to me like one of those things that I would not be disappointed in once I saw them, like I was in the Tower of London, but rather one of those things that never ceases to make me think Oh wow even though I've seen them a dozen times, like when I come up out of the Tube Station and there is Big Ben. The Taj Mahal is magnificent. Every time I see a picture of the interior I want to go and lie down on the floor and just stay there for a while (even though I know it is probably extremely dirty from all the dozens and hundreds of people who come there day after day), which is an impulse I have sometimes when I feel terribly fond of any patch of floor. When I went to Norwich and I was waiting in the church for two hours, after a while I was spending all my energy in stopping myself from lying down on the floor in front of the pews.

Anyway, yes. The Taj Mahal. Before I die. I insist upon it.

No comments: