Wednesday, January 3, 2007

You mean all matinees do not occur on Wednesdays?

You know what I did? Like a loser tourist full of ignorance? I made my plans for today based on the assumption that every show on the West End had matinees on Wednesday because Wicked’s matinees were on Wednesday, and that seemed like a really sensible day to have a matinee, it being the middle of the week and there being another matinee on Saturday (and everyone has matinees on Saturday). Oh, and I also assumed that every show on the West End sold day seats, where you can pay 20 quid or so and sit in the front front row and be spit upon whenever the chorus members lose control of their saliva.

(But I haven’t been spit upon yet.)

Both of these things were wrong. Most tragically they were wrong regarding the show I really really want to see while I’m here, Evita, which I want to see because it has Philip Quast inside it, and his magnificence as a vocalist is unrivaled by virtually anyone else I know. Although the Enjolras on the OLC of Les Mis is very good indeed. I get chills when I listen to him sing Javert. I don’t get chills from people’s voices very often (only him and Idina Menzel), and you know how fantastic it would be to hear both of the chills-producing vocalists while I am here?

Very fantastic. Right.

But anyway, they don’t have day seats, and they don’t have Wednesday matinees, dem them. Which means that I have to go down to Leicester Square and try to get discounted tickets, or else pay full price for the tickets, which I will do but I’d rather not. It also means I didn’t get to see it today. I shall see it tomorrow.

It will now be necessary for all shows on London’s West End to regulate their schedules so as not to confuse me. To give you an idea of the craziness and irregularity that goes on, Avenue Q just lost its mind entirely and gives Friday and Saturday matinevening shows at 5:45 and 8:45. I have no idea what that’s about. So this change is really for the West End’s own good. Do it now, theatres, and then when I am a fierce reviewer with a poison pen I won’t have a grudge against every show that comes to you. You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry. Remember how much more fun I will have writing bad reviews than good ones. I’ll say you have bad acoustics and gaudy ornamentation. I will. Don’t make me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first read your thirdish paragraph I thought it implied that the OLC Enjolras had sung Javert on some other recording. Then I figured it out. But that would really have been something. :-(