Thursday, January 18, 2007

Flat 6 Tom Hollander fest

Oh yeah. We had one.

Well, actually, it was not so much a Tom Hollander fest as an unintentional Keira Knightley fest, but since Sarah doesn’t like Keira Knightley at all, that seemed not to be apt. Thus I have renamed it. We watched Pride and Prejudice, in which Tom Hollander is a very funny little Mr. Collins man (the perfect Mr. Collins, if you ask me), and then we started but were too tired to finish Pirates of the Caribbean 2, in which Tom Hollander is an evil little East India Trading Company man. Just he wait until the sepoy rebellion, he’ll get his comeuppance (that’s supposing that he ceases to be fictional, doesn’t die first, and does get deployed to India rather than the Caribbean).

It was also a momentous occasion in that Trish got to see Pride and Prejudice (with the lovely Matthew McFadyen — oh! just realized it’s another example of my liking guys with big noses) and Sarah had her first experience with microwave popcorn. And quite an experience it was. The four of us ate three packs of microwave popcorn, and I had to try and keep decent intervals between each pack so that Sarah’s head wouldn’t explode with joy because it was so delicious and popcorny and we didn’t even have to go to the cinema to get it! Which is almost more joy than we poor mortals can expect on this earth.

And now, a public safety announcement about microwave popcorn. If you are reading this, you probably already know my views, but I shall just reiterate them. The people who work in the factories that make the butter chemical for microwave popcorn get horrible lung diseases; when lab rats were exposed to this same chemical, they died within a week of horrible lung diseases. So if you eat buttered microwave popcorn, you are supporting lung disease and misery for these people, much like buying merchandise from the poor lead-poisoned factory girls in the Industrial Revolution. I never eat microwave popcorn with butter on. Mostly I don’t eat microwave popcorn at all, because that is supporting their wickedness financially, but on occasion I will indulge. I really like popcorn.

Also Jack Davenport. I used to dislike him because he had such a stick up his ass in Pirates, but in the second one he was all drunken and depraved and probably a much cooler person (except for that thing at the end); and he was such a dear in The Talented Mr. Ripley and didn’t deserve his fate. So I have decided that I do in fact like Jack Davenport. He has a posh accent, too.

No comments: