Friday, January 5, 2007

This bookstore I went to in Colchester where I wanted to steal these books

One time I went to this bookstore in Colchester and I wanted to steal these books. Because they were hardback first editions of Emily of New Moon and Emily Climbs, which are the books by the author of Anne of Green Gables that are better than Anne of Green Gables, and my mum and I love them so very very much, and I wanted to buy them but I could not afford them that week because they were fifteen pounds each which I did not have room for in my budget. And I wanted to steal them. I had a vision of me creeping out of the bookshop with the books under my sweater and when the lady noticed and raised a fuss I would shriek LEAVE ME ALONE THEY ARE FOR MY MOMMY!

And because I did not want to embarrass myself by calling my mother mommy, I did not steal the books. (But I would have liked to.)

The moral of this story is, have visions in which you say “mum” or “mother” and you will not be embarrassed out of taking books you can’t afford but really want and will give a better home to than the bookshop can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well that’s a very touching tale. I’m sure Mommy would be very pleased to know that she brings out pathetic, criminal tendencies in her middlest. I’m proud that you desisted.