Friday, January 19, 2007

The problem with school

And it’s a major one. The problem with school is that you have to go to classes. You can’t just do whatever you want all day; there are classes to be gone to. And then the problem with that is that you can’t sleep and take notes at the same time. Even if you think that half of your brain can take notes while the other half has a lil nap and rests itself, it just doesn’t work that way. Your brain starts playing little games with you to screw you up, because for some reason it doesn’t want to multitask. It wants you to select an activity and stick with it.

I was trying to get it to agree to multitask today, and it was being very uncooperative (my brain, not yours, obviously). It would all start out okay, and I’d be writing down whatever the tutor was saying, so it was all going to be, The present moment to which T.S. Eliot refers is the reading of the poem itself, and then out of nowhere my brain went, Feet. Chewed on his teeth. and I wrote down, The present moment to which T.S. Eliot refers is the feet of the poem itself teeth. I really wrote that down. That is what my notes say.

I guess my brain thinks this is a reeeeeeeeeally funny joke to play but it isn’t! Because then I have to figure out what I was going to say, and since the note-taking thing was pretty much on automatic pilot I tend to forget most of the time, and even if I don’t forget, I am using so much of my brain to do the remembering process that I never have a chance to listen to what the lady was saying then, and I’d miss a whole chunk of undoubtedly interesting and informative notes about T.S. Eliot.

And then sometimes my brain just completely falls asleep and I have little mini-dreams. Once in my literary theory class last year, I dreamed that Tammy and Sandy from Guiding Light were having a very heated argument about the relative merits of the objective and the expressive schools of criticism. (Sandy was vehement about the criterion for the poem being its ability to express the soul of the artist, but Tammy disagreed.) And today I had a really pleasant little mini-dream wherein Barack Obama won the Democratic primaries! It was so exciting! I was rejoicing very happily! and then I had to wake up and return to the simile of the catalyst.

So drop out of school, everyone, and have whole entire dreams whenever you feel like it! Yippee!

No comments: