Friday, November 10, 2006

Me = Salieri

I am totally not cool with Idina Menzel anymore. She’s on notice. You know why? Because she makes me feel bad about myself. Because Steve and I, we went to London, and we got day seats to Wicked, which meant that we got to sit in the very front row of the whole theatre and see the show from there. And I don’t know how you feel about sitting in the very front row at shows, but I think it is fantastic, because I am all about seeing people’s faces, and in case you were wondering, Wicked is way much better from very close up even though you do have to tilt your head way back in order to see parts of what’s going on. Idina Menzel is also much better from very close up. She is. It’s true. And that is why I have categorized this as “Hurrah” even though it is a cranky post.

Anyway, returning to the reason Idina Menzel is on notice, she had a cold. I know this because she kept sniffling and coughing, and because during “Defying Gravity” she had to cut off one of the notes she usually holds out for a very long time because her voice broke (but she totally played it off really well and Steve didn’t even notice), and because now she is being understudied, and actually Steve and I saw the last show that she was in straight through before the understudy had to come on for her. The woman had a cold. But could you tell when she was singing? No, you could not. Because did she still have the most tremendous voice ever? Yes, she did.

I’m going to pretend (and it’s partly true) that I am cross because Idina Menzel has this amazing voice and she smokes and ultimately will ruin it. Actually I am just jealous because when I have a cold, I cannot produce music with my voice and in fact I just make a horrendous noise, and I cannot sing nearly as well as Idina Menzel with a cold when I do not have a cold. And that’s why Idina Menzel and I are not friends anymore.

So.

Also: There was a guy in the play who had on a skirt during “Dancing Through Life”. And he kept coming back on stage in different costumes, like he wanted us all to forget that he had been wearing a skirt before, but let’s face it, you skirt-wearing degenerate, MY MEMORY IS NOT THAT SHORT. I gave him a significant look to let him know that he may have fooled the people sitting far away by coming on in a new costume, but I remembered that black and white skirt affair, and I was not going to let it slide so easily.

No comments: