Monday, March 12, 2007

Reflections on the Rocky Horror Phenomenon

Steve took me to see The Rocky Horror Show in Ipswich on Saturday, and it was very great fun indeed. I am kicking myself for not seeing it when it was playing at home, and also for not taking my sister to see it while we and it were both in London. We went to Evita instead, which was good because I got to see Philip Quast who I love, but we could have done the Time Warp together in sisterly bonding fashion.

Anyway, I went on the interweb and looked up The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I discovered a whole bunch of good things. Like that the audience participation, it really was just totally spontaneous; I don’t know how else it might have happened, but whatever, it’s nice to know that the movie was just cool enough that people randomly started yelling things back at it.

Also the guy who played Rocky in the movie was so mortified by his participation in it that he never acted or modelled again. And Tim Curry got tired of fans flinging themselves at him in a passionate frenzy so he became, and I quote, “chubby and plain” in order to deter them.

This is the best thing I learned. I was reading about the audience participation thing and how it changes over time and in different places, and apparently in Salt Lake City the callbacks include lots of references to Mormons and Brigham Young University. Let me just say right now that I can imagine no greater happiness than to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show in Salt Lake City where all the Mormons are. None. That is the best thing that life offers us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You say that ONLY because you did not have the opportunity to hear the pseudo Brownie dad yelling, “Hey, Baby Blonde! Wobble when you walk!”

Anonymous said...

http://www.frankdecaro.com/recipes/photos/tim-curry/TIM-9.jpg
JUST LOOK AT YOUR PRECIOUS TIM CURRY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!