Monday, March 5, 2007

A fond, fond memory

Yesterday Steve mentioned something about his taste in French fries, and it reminded me of the restaurant that exists in my memory as probably the best restaurant of all time. It is a nice little restaurant called Allison’s Restaurant, and it has many delightful features.

In the first place, it is called Allison’s Restaurant, which means that you can sing, You can get anythi-ing you want / At Allison’s Restaurant, and not feel you have been untrue to the lyrics. Indeed, for many years I was not certain whether the song actually said Alice’s or Allison’s Restaurant. I felt that if the lyricist knew what s/he was talking about, s/he would have gone with the latter; but I suppose it’s unreasonable to expect all lyricists in the world to know about nice restaurants in Kennebunkport, Maine.

Leading me to the second nice feature, which is that this charming eatery is in Kennebunkport, Maine, which is a town of many charms. For instance, it has a place called Blowing Cave where if you get there at the exact right time, the ocean water will swoosh into the cave and come out PFFOOOOOOO! in a big splash! And if you stand on the rocks nearby the water will splash upon you! IT IS SO FUN! So by timing your life correctly, you can eat a big delicious meal and then go and be splashed by a very fascinating natural phenomenon! And I believe that from Blowing Cave you can also see the senior Bushes’ summer home, so you can also stick your tongue out at that in order to express your disapproval of their philosophy and leadership. (But do not do it very conspicuously or the security people will Come And Get You. They will. It’s true.)

Then also the food at Allison’s Restaurant is very tasty. I am not a clam chowder aficionado, but I am informed by those who are that the clam chowder at Allison’s Restaurant is matchless clam chowder. Myself, I am a big fan of their French fries. It is one of those dishes that I cannot bear to share with other people, even though I am a good sharer usually.

Furthermore (as if you need a furthermore!), they have Trivial Pursuit cards on every table! Which means that every meal eaten at Allison’s Restaurant is a chance to acquire more knowledge on any number of subjects! (Six.) I was the best at the literature one, but I was not even very good at that. My mum got lots and lots and lots of answers right. What jolly good times we did have there.

So if you are ever in or around Kennebunkport, Maine, hit up Allison’s Restaurant. Also the toy shop with the marionnettes. I always kind of wanted one of those marionnettes, but as they were big goofy colorful flamingo things, I was not sure what I would do with them once I possessed them. Stage a one-flamingo marionnette drama?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

*thinks longing thoughts of clam chowder*

Not that I’m denying the joys of those french fries, I liked to order both.

And remember how HUGELY LONG the hot dogs were? In their yummy buns?

Anonymous said...

And the lobster rolls!

Let’s ALL go. For my birthday.

Anonymous said...

Big goofy colorful flamingo things? Are they fluffy and wobbly? I think I may own one.

Anonymous said...

They are fluffy and wobbly. They are marionnettes with proper wooden things and strings attached to the feet and head and whatnot… You have one of those? Did you ever use it? I really have always half regretted not buying one. But we usually had about a hundred dollars each to spend in Maine over a three-week period, and a marionnette would have been a substantial chunk of that.

Anonymous said...

I’ve sent you a blurry picture of mine. If I recall correctly, I bought it in 2002 in a mall in Edinburgh or Glasgow or someplace, where it was cheap.

Anonymous said...

…but can i get spaghetti with vegetarian mock intestine?
i made it the other night and it was good!!!

Anonymous said...

ooh, ooh, i forgot to write my name; guess who i am!!!