Wednesday, June 4, 2008

News

I bet you thought I was going to say something about Obama getting the nomination. But I’m not.

(I shot myself in the foot there… What I mean, of course, is that this post is not primarily about the Obama nomination. But since I’ve now wasted several sentences discussing the Obama nomination and how I’m not going to talk about it – this is praeteritio – hi, Cicero, I miss you, baby, and your periodic sentences; whatever happened to us? – I am going to have to say a lot more about my real news item, which is actually very short, in order to stop this post from being primarily about the Obama nomination.)

I made my skeptical sister like The Office. It’s true. Because basically I bought seasons two and three of The Office used, and I’ve been watching them straight through in order to make sure they are scratch-free, and Anna, who enjoys bonding with me while cross-stitching and watching movies or television shows, has been watching it with me. Which means that she now totally cares about what happens. And last night we finished watching the third season, and I mentioned to Anna that if she wanted to start watching the fourth season, we could probably swing it, and Anna gave me a look.

And it was very weird to see that look on her face. I am accustomed to seeing that look on Robyn’s face, when she does not want to stop watching Angel (or Buffy, or The Office, or Felicity, or Gossip Girl – it’s ubiquitous!), and I have felt that look on my face in similar situations, but never ever ever have I seen Anna make that face. I didn’t even know that her face was capable of making that expression.

I won’t lie. It was a happy moment for me.

Also, I miss watching Buffy. I haven't watched Buffy in like. A week. Maybe more. And since I no longer have Angel to prop me up while I wait for the next time I get to watch Buffy, this is actually pretty sad.

(Hm. I forgot about that. Amusing to contemplate the extent to which, as previously mentioned, Angel took over my life, considering that I started watching it only so that I wouldn't go into hardcore Buffy withdrawal and start getting paranoid and throwing up and imagining formaldehyde babies on the ceiling.)

P.S. I just checked. It hasn't been a week. It feels long, but it has actually only been five days. Wow. My life is sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna's "Watch more 'Office'? What can we do, our hands are tied" look aside, do you feel a little weird about the Obama nomination?

Like, I wanted him to win, but not by stomping on the first viable female candidate?

I don't know...I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Jenny said...

Yeah. I'm right there with you. I don't like Hillary Clinton at all, is the thing. I wish I liked her better. Let's bring back Janet Hayes.