Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Inarguably reasonable

No. I know I've said this before but I really mean it this time. I am reasonably cranky and no reasonable person can think otherwise.

I went to the library, and I really wanted to get a couple of Martin Millar's other books, because Neil Gaiman says glowing things about Martin Millar, and I quite enjoyed The Good Fairies of New York (it was charming, and I would like to read it again), so I looked him up and found that only one other of his books is at the library. Which was a little sad, and I felt sad, but I also appreciate that a library has a limited budget and cannot be expected to have all the books that every author has written who is liked by Neil Gaiman.

Goddamn book wasn't there, and neither was the damn Good Fairies one which I wanted to reread. I searched and searched and searched. I searched under Millar; and then, because Millar is a weird spelling, I searched extensively under Miller; and then, because Martin can also be a last name, I searched under Martin. I searched under paperback, and I searched under young adults, and I searched under young adult paperback. I searched under romance, which I am pretty sure Lonely Werewolf Girl is not, and I searched under graphic novels, which it is also not, and I searched under fantasy/sci-fi, and all of this searching was wholly fruitless. So instead of reading that, I read The Interloper.

Which was, frankly, kinda creepy.

And now instead of being curled up in bed halfway through Lonely Werewolf Girl, I am sitting here, finished with and kinda creeped out and dismayed by The Interloper, typing a cranky blog post about the failure of either me as a searcher or one or more library employees as shelvers. Besides which, if I'm being honest, I feel annoyed with Martin Millar for having a name that is one letter away from being an extremely ordinary name, thereby making finding his books unnecessarily difficult. You know what, Martin Millar? I don't care if this does force me to use the Unreasonable Crankiness tag also! Your name is very trying! You should just - you should either get a name that is properly distinguishable from other people's, like Vladimir Nabokov or hell, like Neil Gaiman, or you should spell your very-close-to-ordinary name the ordinary way so that nobody will get confused and lose track of your books. So there.

No comments: