Monday, April 16, 2007

Buying clothes

So my aunt buys most of my clothes, and she has done for quite some time, with this terribly impressive ability to look at things on hangers and tell whether they will look nice and fit well. It's remarkable; I have to try on ten pairs of jeans before I can find a suitable one to buy, but Aunt Becky brings over one and it fits! and is comfortable! Which leads to me thinking that everything I try on will necessarily fit, and I become quite cross at clothing stores if that does not turn out to be the case. And it's really often the case since I never remember to look at sizes - I just grab things off the rack and assume they will be right, because everything Aunt Becky gives me is the right size, and that is just the way clothes work. So when I shop with friends they are always taking things gently away from me and saying, "No, no, Jenny, that's a size 1; you will not fit inside of that dress."

Now, in the olden days, it used to happen that I would say in conversation something like, "This shirt is too small! I really need some new long-sleeved shirts!" and two days later Aunt Becky would come over with like ten long-sleeved shirts for me to try on. Which was really kind and sweet and thoughtful but it wasn't eerie and telepathic.

Whereas now we have moved on to a new stage; and I am telling you, it is a very peculiar stage. While I was home, Aunt Becky started READING MY MIND. Like, okay, I was talking to Robyn and telling her that I wished I had some more shoes, in order to make my wardrobe more versatile, and now I have three new pairs of shoes! Of which one pair is a pair of tan strappy heely sandals that I love madly! And, and I also was telling Robyn that I hadn't owned a dress since I was fourteen or so, and Aunt Becky got me three new dresses! Three! Dresses! Plus I bought one for myself which means that I own one, two, three, four dresses now! And I have also always wanted what I refer to as pants-like-that, which means black pin-stripey slacks; and I really cannot recall ever having said this to Aunt Becky but she got me some anyway because she has mad psychic powers!

And ALSO (you thought the new-clothes saga would have to end, but it just keeps carrying on) I told my mum that if I won a lot of money, I would not spend it on lots and lots of new books as I have always planned if I won a lot of money, but would instead buy myself a whole new wardrobe. Then the day before I left Aunt Becky rang us up and said she had a couple of things for me and Robyn to try on so to come over and try them on. (Which is where I got two of the aforementioned three dresses.) "A couple of things" meant, in my case, basically a whole new wardrobe.

Aunt Becky has telepathy. She reads minds and hears conversations that take place miles from where she is. And me, I have lots of nice new clothing.

No comments: