Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Like a proud mama

Tony Kushner won a shiny prize! He won a big prize for being a good playwright! I read about this today at work, and I felt extremely proud of him. I feel possessive of Tony Kushner, not only because he wrote Angels in America which is one of my favorite films of all time and if I could see the play I would die of glee (it started playing in London the week after I left), but also because he is from my home state, and there are not enough kick-ass Louisianians out there. Hooray for Tony Kushner!

When I was in England, I went to see Caroline, or Change at the National, and it’s all about this woman who lives in Lake Charles in the 1960s, and the family she works for has a little half-basement. And she sings “There ain’t no underground in Louisiana”. At intermission, all the British people were talking about how palpably untrue that was, because of course there was underground in Louisiana, otherwise where did they have their basements? And they chuckled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tee hee

Anonymous said...

Did you thicken your Luzianna drawl and disabuse them of their silly notions.

Never mind. I know the answer.