Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A few minor roadblocks away from perfect happiness

My room is now (almost) extremely awesome and cosy and nice. I bought a hammer and a step-stool yesterday, which provided me the necessary impetus to hang up my pictures. I hung up the summer girl that my mother cross-stitched for me, and I hung up the little framed cartoon of Viggo Mortensen that Nezabeth drew for me in high school – and I hung up my toile-with-corpse picture which my uncle Jimmy made for me. I also hung up all my picture frames. I went to some trouble to arrange them in a nice pattern so that when I printed out the pictures I have selected and put them in the frames, my desk would be a cheery and heartwarming place to be.

But here are the aforementioned roadblocks:

1. I haven’t got frames for my pictures of Richard III and Anne Boleyn. I wanted to put Richard III on the wall between the window and the bookshelf, and Anne Boleyn in the large empty space between my desk and the bookshelf-type thing on which I have put my stuffed animals and surplus school supplies (which, hey, I’ll never need now. Liberty is liberating! Hooray!). But my frame for Richard III broke, and I never had one for Anne Boleyn. So those are both on hold.

2. I haven’t got a frame for the 10x4 picture of the pilgrim salt and pepper shakers plotting evil against the green alien tied to one of Nate’s cups. I desperately want a frame for that. I am in love with that picture. It represents my mother’s side of the family so perfectly. I would put it underneath my other framed pictures, and it would complete the look, I feel.

3. I have no good pictures of Raksha or tim. I am very very fond of Raksha and tim and would like to have pictures of them above my desk, but I just haven’t got any good ones.

4. The above turns out to be a moot point because my printer has no ink. I bought photo paper to print out the photographs I wanted of all the people I like, but it turns out that my printer is just about out of color ink. So I have a big bunch of empty picture frames above my desk. It’s sort of weird and unsettling actually, and I don’t feel one bit comfortable sitting down at my desk. I was going to work on my story yesterday, but the empty picture frames were too creepy, so I went downstairs and made stuffed potatoes and watched House instead. (Which was kinda depressing. But Penny’s guest-starring next week! (I think – I didn’t get a good look at her.) Penny! Thank you, Hammer Man, I don’t think I can explain how important it was that you stopped the van—)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the poster sale: sometimes they sell frames and the like. (I realize it's probably too late for that this semester, but there's alway next semester's poster sale)

Anonymous said...

Oh right. The empty frames are keeping you from writing.

First Rule: It's always something.

Jenny said...

Thank you, Anna. You are very helpful.

Mumsy, I know that is you. I have not ceased to write, I am just not writing at my desk until I can print out some pictures and put them in the frames. I have moved the scene downstairs into the Harry Potter closet, where I am taping up blank paper on the walls and writing on that (I'm Fred!). It is a good stage for me to do this anyway, because I am trying to work out who all is doing what and when for my stature story, and it's much easier with lots of papers all spread out, than on the computer. So the empty picture frames are indeed increasing my productivity.

Anonymous said...

You'll need tim's help if you're going to be Fred: I suspect you're not writing math on your walls.

Our study group has taken over the huge white-board in one of the classrooms so we can chart everything out really big.

Anonymous said...

Fred? Who is Fred? (Other than my soft-spoken long-haired Sanskrit professor from last year.) Fred writes math on walls?

Also, this is puzzling: 'the little framed cartoon of Viggo Mortensen when he Lord of the Rings in a while'. Explain, please?

To add to Anna's tip, thrift stores are awesome for picture frames. People donate all kinds of horrid pictures to Goodwill that you can take out of their often very nice frames and replace with yours.

Jenny said...

Hm, don't know what happened there. Word salad = bad. Yesterday I was pouring cupcake mix into cupcake holders, and the mix was going gloooop gloop into the cupcake holders, and I was trying to tell Laura something, but I said "This has gloop - gloop - gloop - gloop." I meant the cartoon Nezabeth drew for me of Viggo Mortensen. He <3 his horse.

That is a good tip. I bought frames at Hobby Lobby yesterday, however - very cheap ones, but I don't need nice ones - for $13 all together. I will remember your tip in future, however, when I need to buy nice pictures.

I've hung up Anne Boleyn and I'm trying to make a decision about Richard. Because I have this very cool Sandman poster I would like to hang up, but I can't hang up it and Richard (not enough wall space). So I can't decide what to do now. Grrrr.