Thursday, April 24, 2008

You know who I'm glad I'm not?

Tim Minear. (I just wrote Tun Nubear because my fingers got moved over one space.) Boy, am I ever glad not to be Tim Minear.

I know I know. There are worse people to be like struggling producers no one's ever heard of or the people who produce that show where people win money for telling the truth about a lot of mean things, and who (I can only assume) go home every day and hate themselves. I'd rather be Tim Minear than those people. Of course. But still, I'm way glad not to be Tim Minear. It must be so, so sad to produce brilliant show after brilliant show, which then get canceled immediately because FOX hates joy. If I were Tim Minear, I would be just about ready to give up. If I were Tim Minear I would be stomping into my room and slamming the door and yelling I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR INSTEAD.

But Tim Minear doesn't seem to be doing this. I'm wondering if we need to get Tim Minear into a battered producers' shelter. Could he still produce Dollhouse from there?

I only bring this up because of Drive. Drive is like a way more good car-racing version of Lost, in that no one knows why they are there and there's all this complicity and you are always finding out new and interesting and creepy things about all the characters. It is GREAT. Mal has a truck and kicks Jubal Early's ass (again) (it really is Jubal Early but Mal only figuratively kicks his ass in that he is better than him in every way. But the guy really is called Detective Early). Muffin Buffalo lady is ominous and incites unstable mothers to murder. I have love for it. But! But, but, but – guess what? IT GOT CANCELED.

I know. You're shocked. A Tim Minear show got canceled. It's like saying, An Elizabeth Peters book made reference to The Prisoner of Zenda, or, A Frances Hodgson Burnett character is orphaned.

There isn't even a full season. Wonderfalls got canceled after three episodes, but they made ten other episodes and had closure. Drive got canceled after four and hey, turns out they only ever made six. Grrrr.

Whatever. This is why books are better. They don't suck me in and then break my heart. I'm going back to reading Robin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's a pretty happy guy. Most people don't get to see their ideas make it to the screen at all. I'd be happy to be Tim. Everyone loves him, he lives in a great big house, and he's got a nice big development deal. So, things do get canceled. Amazing things. However, those amazing things do get made. It's pretty rare. So is he.

Jenny said...

Unfortunately I'm too busy weeping softly about Drive to accept your philosophy. :P