Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Definitely worth it

I've been watching my post count inch closer to 300, and this is at last the actual 300th post. I was worried that the 300th post would end up being something lame, like a complaint about the dearth of kittens in my life, but I think this new and bizarre fact is worth it. 300 isn't that interesting a number anyway.

Has anyone ever heard of the Poe Toaster? Cause I hadn't. At first when I saw that, I had visions of someone delicately placing a toaster on Poe's grave every year, which would, actually, be pretty great. But basically the Poe Toaster is a dude who shows up at Poe's grave every year on Poe's birthday, all dressed in black and veiled, carrying a cane, and he raises a toast to Poe, leaves three flowers and a bottle of cognac on the grave, and skedaddles.

Evidently this has been going on for more than fifty years. Apparently Poe enthusiasts gather together at the grave site and hang out to watch, and nobody bugs the toaster because they don't want to spoil the mystery. Quite rightly.

There is also some controversy in the Poe Toaster circle because in 1999 the torch passed to a new Poe Toaster (said a note left at the grave), and the new guy's kind of an asshat and leaves political messages sometimes. That hate the French and the Baltimore Ravens. Nobody likes a tradition sullier.

So there you have it. Do with that what you will.

No comments: