Thursday, April 24, 2008

I am way smart

I am wasting myself not going into academia.

Sidebar: Today in class I was reminded of another reason for me not to ever go into academia. We were discussing critical essays on Jane Eyre, and this one girl was criticizing an essay she was reading, saying it was flimsy and not backed up by the book and she didn't believe it for one second. And our professor said: You should write an article proving that author completely wrong. And I said: But then the author of the original essay will be so crushed. And as soon as the words were out of my mouth I felt like a humongous idiot, which, let's face it, I sort of was, because what? should we let them carry on being wrong just so we don't hurt their feelings? Since my answer to that is sort of yes, it would be definitely very bad for me to go into academia because I'd feel too guilty to make fun of anyone else's stupid arguments of which there are many.

But whatever. I am writing a paper on "Ligeia" that I think makes several excellent points. I am really pleased with myself about this latest point I just came up with ten minutes ago. It's clever, all about her last words and Jesus's last words, and how they are similar but also very, very different, because what I'm arguing is that she is a figure of Christ but she's a corruption of Christ. (I'm saying it more eloquently in the actual paper.) I wrote that last-words paragraph just this minute, in a period of six minutes, even though I was planning to write like one sentence and then go to bed. I am cool. I'm going to reward myself by going to bed early. Yay for sleep.

No comments: