Monday, December 18, 2006

I really have to say this (though it hurts me)

Jonathan Rhys Meyers has done something completely unacceptable, which is that he has grown cheeks. I don’t know why he felt this was a good career move. Look at this picture. Or this one. Or this one. His cheeks are all hollow and barely existent, which works really brilliantly, and there’s this sense of brooding and being above it all and you know you should tread carefully with this one, cause he’s dangerous. Right? Am I right?

Well, I just watched Match Point last night, and apart from the truly appalling dialogue (but Emily Watson was cute), what really horrified me was what has happened to Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Look at this. Do you see? That hollow cheeks thing, it’s all gone. And, here, this is even worse. God, in this one, he looks just normal and you could pass him on the street and be like, Whatever, I have just walked past a normal person with no brooding and no tragic past. And even when he’s trying his best to regain that brooding superiority thing, being all edgy-looking, and honestly, for someone who has ruined himself totally, he pulls it off pretty well, even then it doesn’t quite work. See?

I’m so disappointed. It’s just a terrible mistake. Some people should never have rounded cheeks, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, you are one of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I do hope he fixes himself. But what if he can’t - how much control does one really have over the hollowness of one’s cheeks, short of undernourishing oneself? At any rate, I’m pretty sure that looking off to the left while wearing a herringbone coat, an undershirt, and obscenely torn jeans does not qualify as edgy, brooding, or supior. _That_ is something he _can_ fix.