Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why is it Thursday?

Why is it Thursday?

I don’t feel like Thursday today. You know how sometimes it’s some day, and you just really, really, really don’t feel like having that day right then? That’s how I feel today. Every time I look at my calendar I feel displeased. Thursday. Bah. I would have changed it to Friday, just to make myself feel better, but I couldn’t because the Friday shoe is so ugly. I’m so unwilling to have Thursday that I would actually rather it be Wednesday than Thursday (setting myself one day further back from the weekend), except that of course, that would then mean that I’d have to have Thursday all over again.

For a lot of today, I was trying to decide why this should be. I like Thursday usually. It’s not one of those days of the week where I feel depressed. The Office comes on Thursdays. Thursday is only one day away from a weekend. At Essex I had Thursdays completely off. There are three books I like a lot with Thursday in the title – Noel Streatfeild’s Thursday’s Child (bless Noel Streatfeild), G.K. Chesterton’s The Man Who Was Thursday (a line that speaks to my soul: “We have abolished Right and Wrong.” “And right and left,” said Syme with a simple eagerness, “I hope you will abolish them too. They are much more troublesome to me.”) and Rumer Godden’s marvelous Thursday’s Children. Thanksgiving, the only day of the year that I get my uncle Mark’s wonderful dirty rice, is on a Thursday. British elections are held on Thursdays, and God knows I love elections. Both of the Brownings were born on Thursdays.

Well, hey, that really helped. I feel a lot better now. Thursday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

speaking of noel streatfield, but not of thursday, guess which book of his that you don't have is coming back in print!

Anonymous said...

Actually I thought you had been born on a Thursday, but not so! I guess I thought that because it WAS Thursday by the time they let me hold you.

Also, I checked to see what day I was born on and guess what? I am fair of face! and I never knew it!

Jenny said...

Hahahaha, Noel Streatfeild is definitely a chick. But I guess...Skating Shoes! Because that's the only book of hers I can think about that would make you put an exclamation point!

Anonymous said...

sorry, brainfart. I actually did know that. But yes. Cool,huh?