Friday, November 14, 2008

Emotional lability, for starters

I was driving today, as one does (unless one is tim and does not know how to drive because Jenny has not persistently enough pursued teaching one), and out of the corner of my eye I saw a bumper sticker in Democrat colors. Of course I automatically felt depressed, the way one does when one sees Kerry/Edwards 2004 or Gore/Lieberman 2000 (wow, that takes me back) stickers, which are just sad and awkward after the bumper sticker candidate has lost. But then I looked at it more closely, and it was Obama/Biden 2008, and it was like someone had injected me with liquid happiness. Imagine feeling happy about a political situation in the new millennium.

Then I got back to my office, and something reminded me of my cat, and I burst into tears. Well, not burst into tears. I didn’t sob or anything. I just got very choked up and shed several tears and had to pretend that my contact lenses were giving me trouble. Note: If I start crying in public, I nearly always pretend that my contact lenses are giving me trouble. I am excellent at this and you probably cannot tell the difference between when I am faking it and when my contact lenses are actually giving me trouble.

Today, speaking of contact lenses, I stabbed myself in the eye with the receiver of my desk phone. This hurts more than you might think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how exactly do you stab yourself in the eye with the reciever of a phone?

Jenny said...

By answering it with zeal but not direction.

Anonymous said...

I object to calling this 'stabbing'. Bludgeoning, maybe. Stabbing requires pointiness and at least the possibility of puncture.

Jenny said...

Okay, you're quite right. But "bludgeoned" sounds weird. "Bludgeoning" sounds normal - oh, well, the whole thing's a lost cause now, I just looked at that word once too many and now it makes no sense at all.