Thursday, August 7, 2008

Grand new vistas of organizational possibilities

I can’t adjust my brain to the idea of having all my books all to myself. It isn’t that I don’t already – nearly all of my books are in my bedroom at home – and it isn’t that I mind my family borrowing my books. So I can’t explain what’s so exciting about this, but every time I look at my new apartment bedroom, and I envision the bookshelves that will contain all my books, I have to lie down on the floor and breathe slowly, because it’s such a thrilling prospect.

One possible explanation is that I’ve never really had the chance to redo and reorganize all my books. All of them. My mum has given me a big bookshelf on the condition that I go all through the house and remove my books from the family bookshelves, too, so every book that is mine will be coming with me. Which means that for the first time ever I’m going to have all of my books entirely at my own disposal, with bookshelves that belong to only me, in a house where only I will ever read the books, so I can organize them in whatever way I want.

Like, okay, okay, okay. Fiction? Fiction will go here. And nonfiction? That will go in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLACE.

…See why I’m so excited?

My brain is plotting this with fiendish delight. Plus I’m making lists of books I want. For the past several years, I’ve tried to exercise book-buying restraint, so I only get books that I really extra super much want. On account of how my house foundations are sagging. So now I can organize all my books in whatever order I want – little Jenny’s fiction, grown-up Jenny’s fiction, non-fiction (pomes, plays, letters, Oscar Wilde!!, and other such things) – and then when I have assessed how much bookshelf space I require, and how many more books I can accommodate, then I can choose what else to buy.

I CAN ALPHABETIZE. I can place things in categories. I can have a room that is dominated, darling, dominated by bookshelves, so when people (meaning me) come in, they will think MY GOD WHAT A LOT OF BOOKS. I will enter my room and be pleased by the number and vastness of my many bookshelves (two at the moment, but I’m hoping to purchase and/or build some more). I need one that will go under my television, definitely, and maybe one to go underneath my bed. Currently I will only have my chest of drawers and my turning bookshelf underneath my bed – and that just doesn’t seem like an efficient use of space.

Yay. Yay. Yay. Yay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. I wish I could do the same thing, but nearly all my books are in boxes in my parents' basement and they wouldn't fit in my apartment anyway. :( I did manage to go through the boxes and catalogue them all when I was home in June, but then they had to go back in.

Anonymous said...

*laughs* Whatever you do, DON'T HAVE KIDS.