Thursday, May 31, 2007

Because being exhausted and sickly is not enough of a reason for me to stop posting in my blog and go to bed

You know what I just did? Well, actually, what I just did was brush my teeth. But right before that I spent two minutes, two minutes, trying to decide what book I should read while brushing my teeth. I stood there and stared at the books on my shelf and weighed the respective virtues of each so that I would have the best possible tooth-brushing/reading experience.

This is extremely bizarre. I used up the same amount of time that it takes me to brush my teeth in picking a book to read for that amount of time. Two minutes. Not very long. (In case you're interested, I chose Fire and Hemlock. I often choose Fire and Hemlock because I love it so.)

I do this constantly. I am always spending ages choosing a book to break up the monotony of two-minute tasks that require only one hand and thus can be accomplished while reading a book. The bitch about tooth-cleaning is that flossing requires two hands, so I have to pick a hardback that will lie flat and not lose my place, but then when I start brushing my teeth, it is harder to hold a hardback in one hand than it is to hold a paperback, but I can't leave it lying flat because then I'd have to look down in order to read it and I might drip toothpastey saliva on it. Sometimes I say a little prayer at night that God will soften the hearts of the air molecules around my bathroom sink so that they will agree to hold my book for me and turn pages whenever I need the pages turned. Making tooth-cleaning more easily edifying.

They should have doctors for this kind of thing. I need sleep.

No comments: