Thursday, October 23, 2008

The sea, the sea, the sea, the sea!

I missed the sea! Oh, I missed it so much! How have I been living my life for the past five or six years without the lovely ocean? The wonderful ocean! I am so glad I went on retreat with my work for the past couple of days because we went to the glorious and amazing ocean! I haven't seen it for so long and I missed it, the wonderful sea! I didn't do any body-surfing or look at seagulls, but there were a lot of brown pelicans, and I splashed around in the ocean. At night, which was fun, because I have not very often (if ever) gone swimming at night.

Here is a poem that I like a lot, and it is about the sea, and Robert Frost wrote it. It's called "Neither Out Far Nor In Deep", which isn't the best title ever, but it's very Robert Frosty, so I guess that's what you get.

The people along the sand
All turn and look one way.
They turn their back on the land.
They look at the sea all day.

As long as it takes to pass
A ship keeps raising its hull;
The wetter ground like glass
Reflects a standing gull.

The land may vary more;
But wherever the truth may be—
The water comes ashore,
And the people look at the sea.

They cannot look out far.
They cannot look in deep.
But when was that ever a bar
To any watch they keep?


I like that poem a lot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a strange coincidence. My class was doing a unit on the Realistic Poets Frost, Robinson, and Sandburg, and the test consisted of a) figuring out who wrote this poem, and b) commenting on it using Poetic Terminology. Unfortunately, I guessed that Robinson wrote it, so...

Anonymous said...

Actually, I find the title evocative.

Jenny said...

Mm, it's okay. The poem is very evocative. I guess the title seems too wordy for the poem.