Thursday, October 30, 2008

Distressing dream

I dreamed that Oscar Wilde and William Shakespeare were having a humongous fight in heaven. Oscar Wilde said that Shakespeare didn’t have the courage of his convictions (meaning he was Not Really Queer), and Shakespeare said that if anybody here didn’t have the courage of his convictions, it was Mr. Lied Himself Blue In The Face To Avoid Prison, and then Shakespeare said “How didst that work out for thee anyway?” and Oscar Wilde said that he considered it the height of tactlessness for Shakespeare to be making fun of the unfortunate incident that led to his never seeing his sons again, and he would have expected Shakespeare to be more sympathetic since he had lost a son of his own. And I thought that both of them were unkind to bring up these painful incidents, but I didn’t want to get in the middle of it. I was just about to tiptoe away when I woke up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen. Your subconscious is funny.

Jenny said...

I don't think that Shakespeare in my dream actually said "How didst that work out for thee anyway?" but that was the gist, and Shakespeare was definitely talking in an old-fashioned way.

Just, you know. In the interests of full disclosure.

Anonymous said...

It may be poetic license, but I say leave it in. Adds verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.

(I admit it. I giggled)