Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Extra blankets

Here's what I realized last night as I was falling asleep: See, before I went to university, I bought a comforter for my dorm room. And because the dorm was paid for by my scholarship, I always lived in the dorms, and I had this comforter, and meanwhile back at the home, I had my real comforter on my real bed, which I slept on when I visited home.

Well, last night I realized that I am no longer at the dorms, thus will no longer have that blue dorm comforter on my school-year bed, because my school-year bed will have become the same thing as my real-life bed. Which means (stay with me here), the dorm comforter will have become an extra blanket.

I will have extra blankets.

I told this to Robyn, and she said, "Well, yeah!" and I said, "No, but like I'll have extra blankets," and she was like, "Duh! I always have extra blankets! I get cold a lot!" Totally missing the point (though a lovely girl). The point is this: I will have an extra blanket that I am not keeping on hand for my own use, an extra blanket that will just be extra, that I will have to store in an extra blanket place. Like in the linen closet! With the other extra blankets. To distribute to hurricane evacuees or, I don't know, give to people who are sleeping on the couch, in order to make them comfortable... An extra blanket spot. The place where we will put extra blankets.

I mean, the next thing you know I'll have a dog and furniture that serves no purpose other than to put bric-a-brac on, and a Christmas tree of my very own. Having extra blankets means that I am bidding farewell to my transient carefree existence! I can't just pack a bag and go anymore (not that I ever did, except that time I went to England)! I have STUFF.

Yeah, I can't decide how I feel about this. I'd rather have fewer extra blankets and more books.

No comments: