Friday, July 13, 2007

Oh, and speaking of Nazis,

Here is a Nazi anecdote that is totally reasonable crankiness.

So I recently learned that not one single Bulgarian or Danish or Finnish Jew was killed during the Holocaust (but I also read that six Finnish Jews died, and I don't know whom to believe), because those countries refused to comply with the Nazi order to deport all the Jews. And the people of the countries did all these civil resistance things, like, oh! when the Germans told the people of Denmark that all the Jews had to appear the next day wearing a yellow star, everyone in Denmark wore a yellow star the next day, including the king.

I thought that was really interesting, so when Robyn and I went to the library to get some movies that we had on hold, I checked out a bunch of books about people who were heroes during the Holocaust, and Robyn and I went to check our books and movies out, and I had all the books, and she had all the movies. The library check-out guy was one of the couple of people at the library who are always talking to me about the books I get, which I hate because sometimes, yes, God!, I check out children's books! So sue me! I know I'm too old for them! SHUT UP AND DO NOT JUDGE ME! And one of them winked jocularly at Robyn once and asked if she wasn't too young to be checking out Sex and the City.

Well, this guy checked out all my books to me without saying anything, and I was reading the only one of the books that didn't have to do with the Holocaust while I waited for Robyn. And he said, "You know, I used to live in the Northeast, and we knew a few people who still had the tattoos." Which bewildered me because I was reading Greensleeves, and there were no tattoos. I looked where he was looking, and he was looking at the second season of Friends, which he was checking out to Robyn, and that didn't seem to be relevant either. And while I was working this out very slowly in my mind, Robyn nudged me and said, "Holocaust", and right as she was saying it I got it. So I appreciate that he thought we were a bit slow.

But then Robyn said, "Well, that's cool," meaning that it was neat that he'd had the opportunity to hear their stories, and I said, "Yeah, that's awesome," being of course ironic and teasing Robyn a little bit and pretending, you know, that she had meant it was cool that they had been in concentration camps, as she very obviously had not.

The guy gave us a nasty look and said, "It's really not."

And I think we must both have started smiling because if there's one thing that most sane people are agreed on, it's that the Holocaust was really not awesome at all.

And he looked very solemn and said that his grandfather had been in the whatever division of the army and they had gone in and liberated everyone from whatever concentration camp it was, "and they were physically sick," he said.

And Robyn and I both started to talk at once to say that we knew the Holocaust was bad, but he wasn't having any more of our nonsense, and he said, "PHYSICALLY SICK!"

Like we didn't know the Holocaust was horrific. I should've said, "Sick why? I thought the concentration camps were just like a little bit stricter than those internment camps for the Japanese in America, and those were like luxury resorts!" to see if he would have bought it. If people think you're stupid, they will believe anything that comes out of your mouth. Anything.

No comments: