Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Silly things that I feel vaguely guilty about, Part IV

Yesterday I was printing out a scholarship application, and the online one was in color, so when I printed it, it was meant to come out in a darkish purple color. But because my color ink cartridge is running out, it printed out in this very pretty light green. Rendering it, sadly, unusable, because I did not feel confident that the scholarship committee's sense of whimsy would stretch to the applicants' turning in Easter-colored applications. I tossed it on the floor to put in the recycled-paper bag the next time I went into the kitchen, and carried on working.

Such a mistake. It sat on the floor in its spring-time-y green print and stared up at me reproachfully all the time I was filling out the sober black-ink application. It looked so pretty and green. I think it was saying: Am I not good enough? I thought I would please you. Why have you rejected me this way?

It made me too sad. I had to get up right then and put it in the recycling, and it's been haunting me ever since.

No comments: