Monday, November 5, 2007

*hums Christmas carols even though it's only the beginning of November, and ducks the rotting fruits thrown at her by Bonnie*

I was sort of having a kankkarankka paiva (that's how it's spelled! Oh my God, it's even so much better now!) today, because I spent the whole day doing a thankless though necessary task and then I got home and realized that I had to read this amazingly long story for my short story writing class -- we were supposed to write 2000-2500 words and he wrote 4500! 4500!

(I just tried to put that in caps. $%))!)

But seriously. 4500 words? Really? UNREASONABLE FIEND.

And then my flatmates wanted to go to Wal-Mart and shop for our party, and I kinda needed this one thing there so I went too -- and bought apples! -- and I was feeling cranky about that too because I hate Wal-Mart so much. I stopped at my house to complain about how much I hate Wal-Mart, and my mother and sister pointed out that the Christmas decorations were coming out at Wal-Mart, so that would make me feel happy, and I sneered at them because a few lame wreaths and red bows were not going to fix my kankkarankka paiva IN THE SLIGHTEST. And BAH HUMBUG.

Er, but as with the Bama game, I was forced to eat my words. I must confess that I screamed and shrieked at the football and watched the entire thing; and I must also confess that as soon as I walked into Wal-Mart and saw the tall fake green Christmas tree with red bows and heard the little store music playing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", I felt way so much better and my kankkarankka paiva was cured at once. I had sort of a nostalgic flashback to my youth, when we would go to Wal-Mart (the old Wal-Mart, also termed by snobby people the ghetto Wal-Mart, but indeed it held many fond memories for me) and pick out wrapping paper and ribbons to do our Christmas presents in; and also when we would sing Christmas carols at Albertson's and people would give us money because we were so cute and angelic.

Plus then I got home from Wal-Mart, with some apples and a nice bottle of white wine for future kankkarankka paivas, and I found this on Overheard in the Office:

Bank assistant VP #1: It all comes, said Pooh, of not hiring the right people.
Bank assistant VP #2: Exactly... Wait, did you say 'said Pooh'?

9th Street
Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Actually not all that funny but every time I read it I laugh until I cry. I'm going to marry Bank assistant VP #1.

No comments: