Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My views on the Prince Caspian movie

So okay. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was sort of a letdown in some ways to me. Mr. Tumnus was cute, because James McAvoy is always cute. (P.S. How crushed was I when they got back to Narnia in Prince Caspian and no more Mr. Tumnus? Stupid C.S. Lewis. Stupid hundreds of years.) But by and large I was sort of sad about that movie because it added weird stuff for no reason like that bizarre subplot with Susan being a boring tedious bore. Why? Why? Why does everyone have to hate on Susan? So she wears stockings and lipstick later! Big damn deal! Sheesh.

Anyway, another thing that annoyed me was how a bunch of Christians were all, Look how well this movie did! Garnered so much money! And yet no Oscar nominations! Hollywood hates Christians! Q.E.D.!

That is ridiculous, and I will explain why. The movie didn't get any Oscar nods because it was not that good, and although this rule does not always hold true, sometimes when movies aren't that good, the Academy does not nominate them for awards. Titanic being a notable and horrific exception, and I hope that the Academy wakes up at night and is like, OMG WHAT DID WE DO?

Also, while I'm sure that the movie did well partly because of the Christian themes, another biggish factor in its success was that everyone and their mother has read those (very excellent) books and wanted to see the films. Big-budget fantasy action films made of beloved children's books tend to do well. As a trend. Not necessarily indicative of the Triumph of Christianity in America. I feel.

Now that that's out of my system, I'm getting a little excited about the Prince Caspian movie (trailer here), not least because damn, Prince Caspian is kiiiinda sexy. Which I already knew because he was in Stardust, but still, nice to see him out and about Narnia doing his princey thing, having a weird accent that makes sense I guess but still weirds me out.

In addition, I love that they got Liam Neeson to be the voice of Aslan. I am all about that. Basically they're saying that Liam Neeson is God. You know, he just is God, is what they're saying. And that's fine, I'm completely fine with that. I love Liam Neeson, though in a strictly platonic sense unlike some people who have been known to refer to him as a hunka hunka burning love, and I would vote for him to be the voice of God if I were in charge of the voting. And Wikipedia says that he played Jesus once, and also he's Irish-Catholic and raising his kids Catholic. So yay for him.

On an unrelated note, although I can see where they might be loath to make The Magician's Nephew because it's not incredibly action-packed, I really hope they do make it, because I would be all about seeing on film that scene where Jadis goes all nuts on the streets of Edwardian London. That was too awesome and besides, it got the cabby to Narnia, and the cabby and his wife were called Frank and Helen, which were my grandparents' names, so basically my grandparents were the first king and queen of Narnia. I'm just saying.

Oh my God! Epiphany! Bill Nighy! Bill Nighy is Uncle Andrew! Oh, casting people, listen to me for once in your lives and cast Bill Nighy! For Uncle Andrew! Oh he would be so perfect! Bill Nighy was born to play the part of Uncle Andrew!

Okay, I'm just too brilliant. I have to end this post and contemplate my genius for a while.

No comments: