Thursday, July 9, 2009

Proud of my subconscious

Well, I am. My subconscious is very inventive and fun. I have all sorts of good dreams, and even when I have nightmares, they are rife with useful symbolism for me to think about. And because I am in no way responsible for its workings, I do not hesitate to praise my subconscious lavishly without feeling like a bragging bragger. I can’t help it! It’s very creative and interesting! Much more so than my waking self – which seems very unfair.

This is what my subconscious did on Wednesday morning like a genius. See, it was raining really hard on Tuesday night, and I guess the power must have clicked off for a second, because my alarm clock didn’t go off at the appointed time, which was about 5:50. I had set it early to make sure I made it to the place where I had to be at 6:35. On Wednesday morning, I woke up several times, then went back to sleep because it wasn’t time to get up yet, because my alarm clock hadn’t gone off. Ordinarily when I wake up in the morning, I check my clock to make sure I don’t need to get up, but this morning I was tired and I knew if I checked the clock it would wake me up more and I wouldn’t be able to fall back asleep.

(Though really I was oversleeping.)

Anyway I had this dream that my father came over to my apartment to hang some curtains. I actually do have curtains at my apartment that I intended to put up a while ago, and my father offered to come over and hang them for me, but it seemed like too much trouble for him so I never bothered with it. But in my dream, he came over to hang up the curtains and said, “Boy, you’re hard to wake up!”

And I said, “You mean that was you waking me up, when I woke up before?”

And he said, “Yes, you’re late. You were supposed to get up a while ago and help me with the curtains.”

I said, “No. I’m getting up at 5:50 in order to go to that place by 6:35,” and he said, “No, you’re very late. Very, very late,” and suddenly there was someone else with me who agreed that I was very late. We went on discussing this for a little while – I was certain that we hadn’t made any appointment to put up curtains, but Daddy and the other person kept telling me I was late, so finally I said, “Oh, fine,” and shook myself awake and checked the clock, and lo, it proved that I had overslept by a good thirty-five minutes.

My subconscious did that cause it’s helpful and cool. So.

3 comments:

tim said...

I love it when dreams do that. My subconscious recently provided me with a dream of my mother giving me a new bath mat to replace the old disgusting cotton one I currently have. (Laura left it behind; it's curled up in the corner of the bathroom floor because I haven't got around to throwing it away.) We discussed the superiority of nylon to cotton bath mats (nylon won't get soggy), much as I'm sure we would in real life, and then I was wondering whether the pink mat she wanted to give me was really a suitable color, and then I woke up.

This was two nights ago. Last night's dream was a complete ripoff of yesterday's Angel episodes.

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

Oh, I love it when I have dreams that are related to what I've been reading/watching. Unless they are horrifying nightmares...