Friday, October 12, 2007

Um, NO

I know I can't really afford to be picky about this, but I am completely outraged at this comparison, which I have now seen twice, leading me to believe that the world must actually be insane and unordered and there actually can't be a God because a benevolent God could never possibly permit this kind of thing.

If you've met me recently, you may have heard me shrieking the rhapsodical praises of Pushing Daisies, which comes on at seven on Wednesdays on ABC, in case anyone's interested, and I know you all are. It is definitely the best show on television at present, and I am saying this because I have seen all other shows on television. Every single one. And Pushing Daisies wins the prize, not solely because Lee Pace plays the main character and is very cute (and nice hips. I have never noticed anyone's hips before in my life, but damn, Lee Pace's are extremely well-formed. Pay attention next time you see him.), but also because it is charming in every possibly way. It's quirky and it has cars that run off of dandelions, and his shop is called The Pie Hole, and Emerson Cod's name is Emerson Cod and he has gun holsters, and Chuck, who I initially thought was going to annoy me and drag the show down, is actually quite endearing.

Which I know means it's going to get canceled. People can't take all this charm. They think things are stupid that are actually brilliant.

Anyway, I was hunting on the internet to find reviews that would confirm me in my belief that this show is wondrous, and there were many reviews that did this, but do you know what TWO REVIEWS compared it to, and I am not kidding about this in any way? Gilmore Girls.

I mean, have you seen Gilmore Girls? It's, um, well, it's a little bit totally generic, and although it is amusing, it is clearly a guilty pleasure, and I would never ever tell someone OH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS about Gilmore Girls. I would rather be inclined to conceal the fact that I watch it, much in the same way as I would try not to let anyone know that I read Archie comics at home when I am brushing my teeth (though in justice to me I'd be glad to read James Herriot instead, if James Herriot happened to be in the basket on the back of the toilet, but what can I do? It's Archie comics there. My hands are tied.).

This one review, it says that Pushing Daisies boasts "Gilmore Girls-speed wit". No. No, it doesn't. It's not, it's not, it's completely different. It's, I mean, they're totally different kinds of shows! One is the kind that people watch even though it's kinda not that good but just because it makes them think that their lives are going to be something other than miserable wretched deserts of loneliness punctuated by brief spurts of happiness and ending in painful deaths after long illnesses, and then they watch it so much that it goes on for seven seasons. Six? Seven? I can't remember. Whatever. The other is the kind to which I rapidly become devoted so that when it gets canceled prematurely it breaks my heart and causes me to go into a decline and die.

And then the other review said that Pushing Daisies was going to fill the void left by Gilmore Girls. No it IS NOT! It is going to fill the void in my heart left by Wonderfalls, maybe. Gilmore Girls? Not so much. When I have seen all the episodes of that show that exist, I will be just fine about it. Whereas there can never be enough Pushing Daisies episodes.

Incidentally, I feel so sad for Bryan Fuller. He wrote Wonderfalls too, and look what happened there. I worry that he might be afraid he's not a good writer. I want to write him a letter and let him know that he mustn't worry about that at all. I want to reassure him that he is an excellent writer, and that I love him, which I'm sure will mean a lot to him, and it's just that the world is so stupid! so very stupid! that they fail to recognize his genius!

And now, a moment of silence for the world's great canceled shows because network executives are wankers.

No comments: